Monday, September 28, 2009

Week Five Readings

The entry on data compression led me to consider a few things. My old PC had considerable difficulty compressing data. It always ran low on virtual minimum memory and I had to delete older files just to clear up space. I planned to purchase an external hard drive originally though I decided I was just better off purchasing a new computer. The loss free storage for data sounds really interesting, though I am unsure when that technology first came into practice.

The Data Compression Basics website did a much better job of explaining the theory behind data compression and how it works. That said, I found their descriptions of coding confusing. Much of this is because I do not have a computer science background and I did not do any computer programming. I am unfamiliar with many of the coding terms used on this website. If I experienced more computer programming I might be familiar with those terms and methods but I am unsure what they mean. If I find out how they work I will post a response to this expressing my understanding.

First Monday is a peer reviewed Internet journal. The site has links to all of its past issues. I checked out one article from the September 2009 issue that focused on blogs as a medium for news and politics. The article mentioned the importance of blogs for both major US political parties in the 2008 presidential election. I agree that the political blogs bring more people to follow politics and that they further polarize the political system in the US. Another article discusses the role Google plays in how people obtain information and the impact it holds for libraries. This journal seemed very interesting and I enjoyed the articles I read. I plan to keep checking this site periodically to see how it keeps addressing topics that emerge in the information technology realm.

No comments:

Post a Comment