Friday, November 13, 2009

week 10 Readings

When I saw the search diagram I found it somewhat overwhelming at first. As I kept reading the article it made more sense though. I never really thought that searches on the web were that complex. I also was surprised to see that the emergent digital library technologies from 1994 were still used today. I don't know if this means libraries are falling behind technologically or if they are ahead of what is expected. I also think the metasearch initiative will help make it easier for people to conduct searches not just in a library setting but at home as well.

Paepke's article shows the importance digital technology has for a variety of fields. As someone with a BA in History, I never really thought much about how digital technology affected the realm of historical research though the article really showed me how they go hand in hand. I also found it interesting that the libraries struggled to get research funding for it while the sciences achieved it easily. The sciences have money and PR to get what they need and I am not sure why more libraries haven't sought to have stronger PR with their communities to get the funding they want. Does this also mean that librarians should also become computer programmers? It is an interesting issue.

Lynch starts off by mentioning that scholars are moving beyond traditional passive user means of conducting research and scholarship and instead plan to work on a more active approach to scholarly activity. I also found it interesting that an institutional repository went beyond just hardware and software. Lynch's call for libraries to extend from traditional means of scholarship and record keeping and think about the potential digitization holds for them is an audacious yet intriguing one. I think the potential it brings with collection and distribution strategies is strong and beneficial for those who use them. I also found it beneficial that he mentioned ways that a digital repository can fail over time. His call for partnering up at the end of the article also touches on the importance teamwork can bring for a repository. With the teamwork comes added PR and the smoothing out of things that are amiss with the repository. Lynch's points are well backed up and it is very important that libraries follow them to make th emost out of the new digital world.

1 comment:

  1. "Does this also mean that librarians should also become computer programmers?"

    I don't think librarians should necessarily become computer programmers, but I don't think it would hurt to learn the basics. Especially since computers are becoming more and more a part of libraries, I think it would be good for librarians to be somewhat self-sufficient in this area.

    ReplyDelete