Saturday, October 17, 2009

Reading Notes for October 20

Tyson explains how computers connect in very clear terms. I also had no idea that routers must handle so much from large networks. This explains why whenever I used my computer with a large wireless network such as in a hotel the connection speed is very poor. With a network that features fewer computers, the processing speed for Internet work goes quickly. I also learned that URL stands for Uniform Resource Locator and that http at the beginning of URLs stands for hypertext transfer protocol. His article was informative and I plan to use it in the future if I have basic questions about how website design and function go.

I had no idea the internet led to the demise of Integrated Library Systems. I also did not expect integrated library systems would be nearly impossible to reestablish. The interoperability of computer systems in libraries though sounds like it will supersede and outperform integrated library systems. I also agree with Pace's closing statement that to rebuild the ILS we may need to dismantle it first.

I found Brin and Page's Google usage display fascinating. I also found it interesting that they could track the individual languages being used on Google. Also, parts of the world considered "developing regions" had less Google activity. I had no idea Google activity could be tracked so closely by anyone. In some ways that is good because it helps the programmers determine the order of search results. I also never really thought in depth about the Google toolbar on the Firefox browser. I plan to use it much more now. In addition, even though the ads may be relevant to the search topic, I can't say that I plan to click on the ad links. Google has the right idea by doing constant vigilance over search results plus not accepting money from the results themselves but from advertisers helps Google's integrity that it will help people find exactly what they search for.

No comments:

Post a Comment